Sunday, June 17, 2007

Me Me Me

Do I sound like a selfish brat? All I seem to talk about is how the disease affects me. I talk about what I miss and what I'm losing.

Well, that's one reason for blogging anonymously. Here I can feel as sorry for myself as I like, and no one will know it's me.

When I'm with my mom I actually try to put her first. I sometimes exhaust myself trying to take her to do all the things she wants to do. I'm far from the ideal caregiver, but I'm not all that bad.

This blog can be the place where I can whine and pity myself. Sometimes.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

My mom has had AD for going on 15 years and I feel sorry for myself all the time! It sucks and that's the best thing I can say about this stupid disease. But I have had a couple of friends give me great comfort with two simple statements. 1) You're mom will still have joy in her life, it's you that will suffer most; and 2) If you keep thinking about what you miss, you'll miss what you have.

I've found both statements to be so true and so comforting over the years. I hope they help you, too.

A Caregiver said...

Thanks for the understanding and for sharing those words of wisdom.

DebP said...

Please don't apologize for caring for yourself and listening to your feelings. This is an awful thing to experience, on so many levels--not the least of which is that the first person you would probably turn to is no longer available. That's a tremendous loss! Please feel free to say what you need to say in your blog--you are helping a lot of people in similar situations by sharing your experience.

Deb Peterson
http://yellowwallpaper.net/

A Caregiver said...

Thanks for your comment, Deb. The kind words and support from readers mean a lot to me.

Unknown said...

Having a parent with dementia tends to take over your life - it's no wonder you feel like you're losing or missing other parts. It's OK to whine, anonymously or not!

A Caregiver said...

Thanks, Mona. I do find it a relief to have a place where I can whine and feel sorry for myself.