Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hi! My name is Jesus!

She still knows me. For that I am grateful. But she thinks her mom and dad are alive. She thinks my dad is alive. She worries about what we will make for dinner and asks me if I visited my grandma. I lie. I say I will visit Grandma tomorrow and that we already made dinner. I say, "Don't worry about Dad; he already ate."

She says I'm her angel. At times I think she has me mixed up with Jesus. Really. She says, "You're my Lily of the Valley, the bright and morning star, the fairest of ten thousand to my soul." Those words are from a hymn. And it's not about me.

4 comments:

karen said...

You are an angel. Thinking of you.

Jill Grant said...

I know from experience how you are feeling. My mother has been gone. for years now. I cared for her in my home until she passed on. I would do it again. The memories made can never be replaced. Bless you and your mother

Anonymous said...

Hello -- It has been 2 years since my last comment to your blog. Mother is in a "home" for Alzheimer's patients and still 4 states away. I visit as often as I can and it had become a burden on my marriage. There are days when I can "forget" the situation and I wonder if I will also acquire this dreaded disease. And the Hymn of Promise keeps popping into my head...

A Caregiver said...

Thank you for your comments.

Anonymous, I hope you will take care of yourself and your marriage. As many people have said to me, you're no good to anyone if you're sick or overly stressed.

There were times when I was almost able to forget the situation with my mom. It's easier to do when you're so far away. Of course I would feel guilty when I forgot.

My mom passed away in March. I need to write a post about it, but I'm not ready. There are many things I regret, but I think there are also many things I did right.