Thursday, June 25, 2009

Another Year Gone, Part 2

Fortunately after about two weeks she relented and asked Diane to go to her home. However, she insisted that she didn't need her more than two days a week. When I would remind her that she had agreed in the doctor's office to have Diane every day and every evening during the week, she would become very angry. Here's how it normally goes:

Me: Mom, when we went to see the doctor he was very concerned about your being all alone in your house. He wanted you to have Diane in during the day and the evening.

Mom: He can't tell me what to do. I'm independent. I've been independent all of my life. I'll get another doctor.

Me: Another doctor will tell you the same thing.

Mom: How will he know?

Me: Your records go with you, and your doctor has been writing everything down. You know, if you don't do what you agreed to do, the doctor may put you in the nursing home.

Mom: He can't do that. I'm not going in the nursing home. I'll call the police and tell them what he's trying to do.

Every time I talk to her she tells me she's doing great and that she hasn't fallen again. Last week she told me that she's doing so well that she doesn't need Diane more than one day a week. If she actually follows through, I'll have to go out to see her and assess the situation. I really don't want to force her into the nursing home, but she only becomes more dangerous to herself as time goes on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for updating. My mother has a problem with dementia also -- and I live 4 states way. Every time I visit, the change is a jolt to my sense of reality. My parents retired to warmer climes and "the good life" a dozen years ago and my father refuses to move closer because he claims to have a life there. The rest of the family is here and feeling helpless. I feel your pain - believe me.

Todd said...

Hi.

Thanks for the article. I would like to introduce everyone to our company CareRunner (www.carerunner.com). We specifically address the difficulties faced by non-professional caregivers, particularly those providing care across long distances. We provide an application that helps caregivers centralize communication across their entire community, allowing them to focus on their Loved Ones.

As we have recently launched, I would like to invite everyone to visit us and we welcome any feedback and insights.

Thanks,
Todd
todd@carerunner.com

karen said...

I just found you. I will be back.
http://alzheimersandmomblog.blogspot.com/

folic acid said...

I have read the article based on the year passes and feelings remains the same one.I want to know suggestion of others. I like the post as it contain very informative experiences.I feel your pain - believe me.As I have passed this bad experiences.